7 NIGHTS 8 DAYS
7 NIGHTS 8 DAYS
Route: Colombo > Pinnewala > Dambulla > Sigiriya
Drive: 7 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Sigiriya
• Hop into your private air-conditioned vehicle and start the drive to Pinnewala. (~3 hours)
• Reach Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage in time to see the orphaned baby ... elephants being bottle-fed. You can also feed and pet them.
• Have lunch at the restaurant overlooking the river, where the elephants – both young and adults – can be seen bathing and playing.
• After lunch, proceed to Dambulla - drive for ~3 hours to reach the UNESCO World Heritage cave complex.
• Climb up to the world-renowned cave temples and admire the fascinating interiors with vibrant décor and impressive Buddha statues. The guide will tell you all about the history and stories about these caves.
• Later in the evening, get back on the road to Sigiriya – a short 30 minutes – 1 hour drive.
• Check-in to the hotel in Sigiriya.
• Dinner and overnight in Sigiriya.
Route: Sigiriya > Kandy
Drive: 3 - 5 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Kandy
• Make your way up the “Lion Rock” to the ancient citadel on top, taking in the breath-taking scenery around you.
• After walking around the terraced summit and learning all about the ... ancient capital, climb back down and explore the Royal water gardens at the base and take stunning photos of the rock.
• Proceed for lunch, followed by the drive to Kandy.
• On route, we can visit a Spice & Herb Garden, the vibrant Hindu Temple in Matale. (~3 - 5 hour drive depending on stopovers).
• Reach Kandy by evening and check-in to the hotel.
• Overnight in Kandy.
Route: Kandy > Nuwara Eliya
Drive: 4 - 6 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Nuwara Eliya
• The temple itself is a sight to behold. You will also see beautiful white and gold stupas around. There is also a small museum here that showcases stories and information on Buddhism.
• Make sure you are there early for the “ceremony” and join the devotees to get a glimpse of ‘Buddha’s tooth’.
• Later, proceed for a sightseeing tour of Kandy or go on a shopping spree. Kandy is well-known for gemstone shopping; you guide can recommend some shops. Ceylon tea, batik textiles, and local crafts can also make good souvenirs.
• After lunch, get back on the road for the drive to Nuwara Eliya. On route, see tea plantations and spectacular views including those of waterfalls. (~4 - 6 hours’ drive).
• Reach “Little England” in the evening and enjoy the change of scenery as well as the weather, which is a welcome relief from the sweltering cities.
• Overnight at hotel in Nuwara Eliya.
Route: Nuwara Eliya – Ella - Yala National Park
Drive: 3 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Yalsa
• You can choose to go boating on the Gregory lake, take a stroll in Victoria Park, visit the Post Office operating in a colonial Tudor Manor or the Hakgala Botanical Garden, explore the markets, farms and tea plantations.
• By noon, head to Nanu Oya Railway Station to catch your train to Ella.
• After dropping you off at the station, your driver will travel to Ella with your luggage, by road and wait for your arrival.
• Enjoy one of the most sought-after train journeys in the world – though it is only a short distance, the train meanders through tea plantations, hills and simply untouched nature, giving you about 3 hours uninterrupted picturesque views.
• On arrival in Ella, de-board and meet your driver outside the station.
• Begin the drive towards Yala and reach by evening. (~3 hours drive)
• Overnight in Yala.
Route: Yala National Park > Mirissa
Drive: 3 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Mirissa
• Later, after having breakfast, get back on the road to Mirissa. (~3 hours)
• Reach Mirissa by afternoon.
• Enjoy the untouched beauty of this quaint beach town, for the rest of the day.
• Overnight in Mirissa.
Route: Mirissa > Galle
Drive: 2 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Galle
• Spend the day on the beaches of Mirissa and enjoy activities like diving and snorkelling.
• In the evening, drive to Galle (~2 hours drive)
• Overnight in Galle.
Route: Galle > colombo
Drive: 3 hour drive
Hotel: Hotel in Colombo
• Visit the UNESCO Heritage-listed Galle Fort - a Portuguese-built and Dutch-fortified 16th-century fort. You will also see the lighthouse here.
• Take a walk through old town Galle and the Dutch Hospital – now home to a myriad of upmarket boutiques and restaurants.
• Have lunch at the Dutch Hospital – choose one of the lively boutique eateries and enjoy a relaxed time.
• Head over to Flag Rock, at the southernmost end of the Fort. You might see daredevil locals leaping into the waters below.
• Visit the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery on the way to Colombo and see how they are attempting to raise the survival rate of sea turtles. You will see tiny turtles in tanks and learn about their lifecycle. (30 minutes tour) OR catch the sunset at the Flag Rock.
• After the sunset in Galle or the turtle hatchery tour, hop back into the car for your drive along the coast to Colombo. (~3 hours’ drive)
• Reach Colombo late in the evening.
• Overnight in Colombo.
Highlihts: Colombo sightseeing
• Go on a sightseeing tour of Colombo – Half-day drive around or full-day tour, depending on the time of your departure.
• In Colombo, you can opt to see the colonial buildings, National Museum, Independence Memorial, Gangaramaya temple and other attractions. Take a stroll in Viharamahadevi Park or go boating in Beira Lake.
• You could also go on a shopping tour of Pettah for good bargains or enjoy the local cuisine on the streets or at a good restaurant by the beach.
• According to your departure timings, the driver will drop you off at the international airport for your onward journey.